Academy MemberMap & Directions
Doug has been a practicing attorney in civil litigation for over 35 years, representing both plaintiffs and defendants in various complex personal injury and commercial litigation matters including products liability, labor law matters, commercial premises liability cases, insurance coverage disputes, wrongful death, medical/dental malpractice, and general contract/business litigation. He has also represented the interests of excess carriers in serious personal injury matters. He has tried to verdict numerous cases in State and Federal Court. As an experienced trial attorney focusing his practice in mediation and arbitration, Doug brings insight, experience and practicality to the table. Over the last three years, Doug had over 350+ mediations totalling more than $150 million in settlements and 1,000+ arbitrations as a neutral or sole arbitrator. Currently, 100% of his practice is devoted to ADR either through mediation or arbitration.
Doug was privileged to be part of the initial trained panel of approved attorneys to handle mediation of commercial matters of the Eighth Judicial District in the New York State Courts in 2000 and has continued with additional training in addition to his active case resolutions. He is on the current Court ADR panel for mediations, arbitrations, and neutral evaluations for the entire Eighth Judicial District Supreme Court and has regular referrals from the many Justices to mediate pending personal injury and non-personal injury matters. He underwent Federal Court mediation training in February 2009 and is a member in good standing of the WDNY Mediation Roster. Doug mediates case all over New York State and has been involved in over 2,500 case resolutions as mediator, neutral or sole arbitrator in the past ten years. He has been active in ADR on behalf of his own personal clients for over 25 years as well, and has been honored to be selected in the Business First editions of "Who's Who In Law Western New York" and New York Super Lawyers 2009-2018 for arbitration and mediation as selected by his peers in the legal community.
- Contract Disputes
- Debt Collections
- Family Businesses
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Real Estate
- Trusts / Estates
- Wrongful Death
- University at Buffalo, JD 1975
- University of Notre Dame, BA 1971
Memberships & Affiliations
- Mediator for Federal Court ADR Program
- Mediator for New York Supreme Court ADR Program
- Mediator/Arbitrator for Resolute Systems, Inc.
- Business First "Who's Who in Law" for ADR
- New York Super Lawyers for ADR 2009-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV rated "Preeminent Lawyers" for over 30 years
- 2008 Charles H. Dougherty Civility Award from Erie County Bar after nomination by the Bar's Judge's Committee
- Chair and original member of the City of Buffalo Board of Ethics since 1999
- Past President of the Western New York Trial Lawyers Association and UB Law Alumni Association
Please call office for details.