Academy MemberMap & Directions
Regularly travels out of state to: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia
- NEW YORK-NEWARK
For more than thirty years, Richard Mattiaccio has served as an arbitrator in scores of business contract disputes and he has broad experience in mediation both as counsel and as mediator. He has served as tribunal chair, sole arbitrator and tribunal member in connection with a broad range of international and domestic commercial, intellectual property and executive employment disputes. In mediation, he has effectively represented clients in obtaining settlements and he has successfully mediated disputes between parties in long-term commercial relationships.
The focus of Richard Mattiaccio's practice is on the representation of clients in arbitration of complex domestic and cross-border business disputes under AAA/ICDR, CPR, ICC, UNCITRAL rules; acting as lead counsel in cross-border litigation in aid of arbitration; and assisting clients in avoiding protracted legal battles at the contract-drafting stage or as settlement counsel in negotiation or mediation.
Richard Mattiaccio is a veteran litigator of business, intellectual property, executive employment and cross-border disputes. He has represented domestic and international clients in court, in arbitration and in mediation in a wide variety of industries including aerospace, automotive, banking, commercial real estate and finance, fashion apparel and accessories, food and beverage, hospitality, industrial products, medical devices, and professional (including engineering and technology-related) services.
- Arts (Fine/Performing)
- Banking & Finance
- Business Dissolution
- Contract Disputes
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas)
- Entertainment Sector
- Intellectual Property
- Legal Malpractice
- Media & Communications
- Medical Devices
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Shareholder Disputes
- Unfair Competition
- Venture Capital
- Columbia Law School (J.D. 1978), Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and Articles Editor, Journal of Law and Social Problems
- Columbia College (B.A. 1975), magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Columbia Law School/CIArb Comprehensive Course on International Arbitration, June 6-10, 2016; CCA Annual Meetings (2013-2016); ICDR Annual Practice Vis Moot and Seminar (2011-2015); ICDR/IBA Four Roundtables in Times Square-Putting the Spotlight on International Arbitration on Broadway (2011); 3-Day Commercial Division Panel Mediator Advanced Training (2010); College of Commercial Arbitrators National Summit on Business-to-Business Arbitration (2009); AAA Arbitrator Ethics & Disclosure (2009); City Bar Mediation Training, Conflict Resolution Theory & Techniques (2009); ICDR International Symposium: Advanced Case Management Issues (2008); ICDR The Common Law/Civil Law Gap: The Issues and How International Arbitrators May Resolve Them (2006); AAA Neutrals Conference (2005, 2004); Faculty, AAA Workshop, Safeguarding the Award: Top Strategies for Protecting an Arbitration Award from Vacatur (2004); AAA Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding, Deciding & Writing Awards (2004); Faculty, AAA Workshop, Arbitration Awards, Tips & Traps-Reduce or Minimize Challenges When the Case is Over (2004); AAA Arbitrator Update (2004, 2002); AAA Commercial Arbitrator II Workshop: Advanced Case Management Issues (2001); AAA Commercial Arbitrator Training (2000); AAA Advanced Arbitrator Training (1991)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Adjunct Professor, Fordham Law School (International Commercial Arbitration)
- Chair, International Commercial Disputes Committee (ICDC), New York City Bar Association
- Member, President’s Working Group on Enhanced Speed and Efficiency of Dispute Resolution, New York City Bar Association
- Executive Committee, NYSBA Dispute Resolution Section
- Member, NYSBA International Section
- New York City Bar Association (Co-Chair, In-House/Outside Litigation Counsel Group; Chair, Products Liability Committee; Member, Arbitration Committee; Member, Judiciary Committee; Member, Professional and Judicial Ethics Committee; Member, Professional Discipline Committee; Member, Civil Rights Committee)
Depends on complexity of case. Please contact me to discuss.