Academy MemberMap & Directions
Thomas D. Halket
1214 West Boston Post Road N277
Mamaroneck, NY, 10543
Fax: (914) 833-2681
Regularly travels out of state to: California, MassachusettsOther ADR Services: ADR Training/CME, Early Neutral Evaluation, Med-Arb
- Practice Commenced: 1985
- Total Mediations (as of Apr 2020): 20
- Total Arbitrations (as of Apr 2020): 150
- NEW YORK-NEWARK
Thomas has over 35 years' experience in arbitration (as chair, sole, panel member or counsel) and mediation of over 100 international and domestic complex commercial disputes in a wide variety of matters. Amounts in controversy have exceeded $1,000,000,000.
Representative subjects of disputes have included:
• FRAND, technology, IT hardware and software, data protection and internet,
• Licensing, development and other intellectual property,
• Mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, banking, securities and corporate and
• Supply chain, products liability and commercial transactions.
Representative industries of the parties have included:
• Information technology, e-commerce, telecommunications and consumer electronics,
• Pharmaceuticals, medical equipment and health care,
• Heavy equipment, defense, aviation and transportation,
• Finance and banking and
• Home products and fashion.
Representative matters have included:
• Aviation charter (sole and panel member),
• Aviation equipment (panel member),
• Business financing (sole),
• Chemical and chemical equipment licensing (sole and mediator)
• Consumer electronics FRAND (sole),
• Consumer electronics supply chain (sole and mediator),
• Defense contract (chair),
• E-commerce (sole),
• Fashion licensing (sole),
• Fintech (chair and sole),
• M&A finance (sole),
• Medical device development (chair)
• Pharmaceutical industry software license (panel member),
• Pharmaceuticals and biotech licensing (chair, panel member and sole),
• Securities (chair),
• Software development and use (chair, panel member and sole),
• Telecommunications equipment (chair),
• Telecommunications infrastructure service (panel member) and
• Transportation equipment (panel member).
- Banking & Finance
- Business Dissolution
- Contract Disputes
- Entertainment Sector
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Media & Communications
- Medical Devices
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Non-profit Organizations
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Shareholder Disputes
- Unfair Competition
- Venture Capital
- Columbia University School of Law (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; Writing and Research Editor, The Columbia Journal of Environmental Law)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (S.B. and S.M. (Physics), Sigma Xi); Research Fellowship, Harvard University Observatory.
Memberships & Affiliations
Thomas is a Fellow and Chartered Arbitrator of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators, Member of "Tech List" (Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center), GAR listed arbitrator, Member of the IDR Group (London), Member of the International Arbitration Club of New York, Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Arbitrators (London), Member of the London Court of International Arbitration and Member of the USCIB Arbitration Committee.
His professional positions have included:
- Past President, past Deputy President, past Vice President, past Deputy Chair of the Board of Management, past Chair of the New York Branch, past Chair of the Panels Management Group, past Chair of the Practice and Standards Committee, past Chair of the Technology Subcommittee of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. CIArb representative to UNCITRAL Working Group sessions.
- Past Chair of the Technology Advisory Committee of the American Arbitration Association.
- Arbitrator Judge at Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Competition.
- Past member of Task Force on IT in Arbitration of the ICC Commission on Arbitration.
- Past Chair of the Section of Science and Technology of the American Bar Association, of the ABA’s Division on Ventures and Enterprise and of the ABA’s Aerospace Law Division.
- Member of the Arbitration committee, member of the International Commercial Disputes Committee, past member of the International Legal Practice Committee and past Chair of the Subcommittee on Software and the Uniform Commercial Code of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
- Member of the New York Arbitration Week Organizing Committee.
His arbitral service has included membership on the panels of arbitrators and mediators of the American Arbitration Association (including the commercial, large complex, large complex technology and IP and international panels), the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (London), the World Intellectual Property Organization (including arbitration and domain name panels) (Geneva), the International Arbitral Centre of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber, the Asian International Arbitration Centre (Kuala Lumpur), the Saudi Center for Commercial Arbitration, the CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, the Singapore International Arbitration Centre and the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (domain name panel). Service as an Arbitrator for the International Chamber of Commerce. Member of Arbitral Appointments Committee of the Scottish Arbitration Centre (Edinburgh).
Please call for details